Wednesday, August 20, 2008

5 Days Old and Ventilator Free!

Emren - enjoying his new ability to breath all by himself. Emren was taken off the ventilator this morning around 11:30. He was awake and trying to see what was going on around him when I was in to visit at 1pm. His carbon dioxide levels in his blood are stable and did not change when they ex-tubated him. They'll continue to monitor the levels but are very happy with the lack of change. He's showing very good signs of being stable with only the small amount of oxygen around his nose (just for backup). I'm so proud of him!

Elijah - adjusting to breathing all by himself. He went off the ventilator around 2:00 this afternoon and so far is doing well. His carbon dioxide levels went down a little but not enough to intervene. They will keep a close eye on his breathing patterns and gas levels through the evening and night. Poor guy had the hiccups the last time I was down with him but he seemed to be breathing well despite the annoyance. I held his little hands and he seemed to get more relaxed. It made me feel good - like I was helping him maybe just a little. I just started crying when I saw him without his ventilator tube. He looked so much more like a little baby now that I can see his face better. I love his little lips and nose. He's so beautiful to me!

3 comments:

Lauralee said...

YAY! that is sure exciting.. how sweet that you could tell he relaxed a bit, while you held his hand.. so sweet..

take care.

We Three Madsens said...

They are beautiful Danielle! I am so happy they are doing so well. That is really sweet, its amazing how they know their mommy, it makes you feel so good that they know you.

Courtney said...

Go Elijah and Emrem! Breathing is a big deal--I'm proud of their accomplishment in only 5 days!