Monday, August 25, 2008

Holding the Twins

Yesterday David and I got to go to the hospital to visit the boys - just the two of us. David has only gotten to be with them for small increments of time lately because we've had Ethan with us. This was such a special time. We got to devote 100% of our attention to them together as parents.

I held Emren first while David held the feeding tube up for his 5:00 mealtime. Then Daddy got to hold him for the first time. He was apprehensive at first but then realized how much Emren liked to be held and how it calmed him.
Next was Elijah's turn to eat and be held. Elijah is now breathing completely on his own without any respiration help at all. He only has the feeding tube that now goes into his nose and down into his stomach as well as PICC line in his arm to give him whatever IV nutrition he still needs. It was so wonderful to see his little face so much better now! We were so distracted by enjoying our time holding him and talking with the nurse that we didn't get good pictures of him. I will make sure to make up for it later on in the week when I'll be staying there.

3 comments:

Courtney said...

Tear-jerker! I'm just dying to see those boys and hold those cute babies! I can only imagine how you must have felt holding them for the first time. Sometimes I wish we could just press 'pause' on those magical moments in life. Soak it all up!

Lauralee said...

so glad you got to hold the babies again.. forget the camera.. just enjoy it.. so glad they are doing good.. what little miracles!

Melissa said...

Danielle,
This is Melissa Ricks. Angie forwarded me your blog. I've been thinking about and praying for you guys and am so happy to see that your two little boys are here.
I know you have lots of little boys stuff from Ethan, but if you need more we have bins full of Carson's clothes and we also have an infant car seat carrier and two bases (Graco) that you guys could use. Let me know if you need anything. Congratulations on your two little miracles.