Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Update on the Twins

Today's ultrasound went well. Their surrounding fluid levels have remained about the same as last week's so they still have something to swim in. Their blood flow through their cords and their little bodies is very healthy still. They both measured about 2lbs. 12oz. so they've gained 7oz. in 2 weeks. I honestly was really hoping for more but after talking with one of the doctors, I felt a little better. She said that at around this gestational age, they start to fall off the "singleton" pregnancy growth charts and start gaining weight more like "twins," sharing a placenta. She said the average weight gain every two weeks is between 4oz. and 8oz. around this time in the pregnancy for twins. So, I'm happy with the 7oz. - good job boys! It's just a reminder to me that I REALLY want them to stay in there at least the rest of the month though.

Another new bit of info this past week is that I've been diagnosed with gestational diabetes this time around. At first I was pretty bummed about it. I mean, what else do I have to look forward to on the days I don't have visitors besides what I get to eat. But, after a week of finger poke blood sugar level testing 4 times a day, they have decided that it's really a mild case of it. I have had below level numbers every test. The last couple of days this past week, I started eating the same as I had been eating before and was still passing the tests with normal numbers. They changed the testing to only 2 times a week now and really don't seem too worried about what I'm eating. I'm so happy it turned out to be not such a terrible problem - and really happy I can still enjoy my breads and chocolate!

1 comment:

We Three Madsens said...

Im so glad things are going well with the twins! Thats great that they gained that much weight, thats the high end! Im sorry to hear you have GD... thats not fun, but at least you get to enjoy bread and chocolate like you said, what would a pregnant woman do without her chocolate? Courtney and I are going to try to come visit again in the next week or two. We will let you know!